See below for details.
About the Course
The CSI CALGARY Strength and Power Performance Course is an exciting educational opportunity that combines experience in a real world high performance training environment, class room knowledge translation and the chance to exchange training ideas and philosophy with some of Canada’s top strength and conditioning (S&C) coaches.
You will learn the applied science of strength and power training and how to properly integrate different skillsets such as programming and movement assessments into a cohesive training philosophy.
The title of this course tells you about our primary focus – How do we assess, monitor, program and deliver strength and power training to improve athlete performance?
There are two streams to our course:
Stream 1 is for aspiring S&C coaches, sport coaches, or allied sport practitioners who are wanting to learn more about the fundamentals of S&C including the physiology/biomechanics of muscle strength and power, program design, program delivery, movement assessments, strength and power assessments, and coaching and cueing. Using shadowing sessions on the floor with our high performance S&C team, case studies, and hands on practical learning opportunities, you will learn new skills that will transfer immediately to your coaching situation.
Stream 2 is an advanced focus group that will participate in daily Think Tank sessions on various topics related to high performance S&C. Stream 2 is exclusively for experienced S&C coaches who want to dive into deeper discussions including advanced program design and neuromuscular assessment with our high performance S&C team. We are also looking for attendees who are open minded and who will contribute to the development of all the participants in Stream 1 through informal discussion, and participation in knowledge translation sessions.
Who Should Register?
Stream #1 is for you if you are:
- An aspiring strength and conditioning coach.
- A retired athlete who is interested in the strength and conditioning profession.
- An allied high performance sport professional looking to learn more about the performance side of strength and power (e.g. physiotherapist, massage therapist, athletic therapist).
- A sport coach (e.g. Olympic winter sport, Olympic summer sport, professional sport) who is looking to gain knowledge in the strength and power discipline.
- If you are a young aspiring strength and conditioning coach who has the motivation and discipline to become a top level strength coach and you are a recent or soon-to-be graduate of a Kinesiology or related program, you may be eligible for the CSI CALGARY Strength and Conditioning Internship and could obtain this course for free.
Stream #2 is for you if you are:
- An experienced S&C coach with elite athletes.
- Open minded and willing to contribute your knowledge to the group participating in Stream 1.
- Interested in the science of strength and power including monitoring neuromuscular readiness, advanced strength and power assessments, return to sport neuromuscular assessments after injury, periodization of strength and power to optimize performance, and take a multi-disciplinary approach to athlete development.
Course Details Stream 1
Stream 1 runs over five days (Monday to Friday) May 1-5th, 2017. Attendees can expect full days including morning classroom instruction and afternoon practical sessions.
Course Details Stream 2
Stream 2 runs over three days (Wednesday to Friday) May 3-5th, 2017. Attendees are expected to contribute informally to the morning class room sessions with attendees in Stream 1. We are just looking for you to share your experience and enthusiasm for our profession so there is no need to prepare. Afternoons will be dedicated to our exclusive Think Tank discussions with senior members of our high performance S&C team.
Course Location and Daily Schedule
The CSI CALGARY is Canada’s premiere winter sport training institute at WinSport in Calgary Alberta. It is home to Canada’s most successful winter Olympic sports, and is a hub for world-class research and application in the strength and power coaching discipline.
|8:30-9:45||On the floor shadowing||CSI CALGARY Training Floor|
|10:00-12:30||Classroom knowledge translation sessions||CSI CALGARY Boardroom|
|12:30-1:30||Lunch on your own
(WinSport has full café with daily lunch specials)
|WinSport or offsite|
|1:30-4:30||On the floor for practical sessions||CSI CALGARY Boardroom|
|4:30-5:00||Round table and daily wrap up||CSI CALGARY Boardroom|
Daily Themes Stream 1
Monday: Scientific basis for strength and power programming / scientific basis for diagnosing strength and power abilities
Tuesday: Athlete intake, movement assessments, and the daily warm up (quotidian movement assessment)
Wednesday: Program design for hypertrophy and maximal strength
Thursday: Program design for maximal power, reactive strength, speed
Friday: Introduction to periodization and monitoring strength abilities
Daily Themes Stream 2
Wednesday: Advanced neuromuscular assessments for injury prevention
Thursday: Advanced return to sport monitoring, and performance
Friday: Advanced concepts in program design
What Will You Get?
- Time to shadow some of Canada’s top strength and conditioning coaches
- Access to knowledge on training and programming that is based on science not gimmicks
- Access to the experts to get your questions answered
- Opportunity to share and collaborate with like minded professionals
- Opportunity to expand your professional network
- Electronic handouts
- A certificate of completion
- Continuing education credits
The CSI CALGARY Strength and Power Performance Course is limited to a maximum of eight participants in Stream 1 and five participants in Stream 2. We are looking for like-minded professionals willing to learn AND share their knowledge. We are also targeting young aspiring strength and conditioning coaches who are passionate, open and hungry to learn our craft. If you are interested, please complete the short online application form below.
- Stream 1 (Monday to Friday): $995.00;
- Stream 2 (Wednesday to Friday): $495.00